1986 Ford F-150 Help

I need to change the passenger's side valve cover gasket on this pickup . It is fuel injected . I was wondering if anyone has ever done this ? I really don't want to pull off the fuel injection airhorn if I really don't have to . Can it be done without removing this ? I know it will be a tight squeeze to remove the top row of nuts on the valve cover but I was wondering if anyone has done it successfully ? Thanks, Raz

Reply to
Hilltop Cycle ATV

It can't be done without removing the upper plenum.

Upper plenum isn't much more than 6 bolts, the EGR pipe, some electrical connections and a brace. Given the failure prone nature of the upper plenum gasket, you may be killing two birds with one stone.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

So, it looks more complicated than it is ? Have you had them apart before ? If so, do you happen to remember how much the gaskets cost ?

I got this pickup for $300 but it has a knocking sound in the top end , on the same side as it needs a new gasket . I had an experienced mechanic tell me that it doesn't sound like a connecting rod but it could possibly be a pushrod has worn a hole though a rocker arm. Which has has seen before. The truck runs o.k. but sounds awful with the knocking. If I can get this on the road for around $500, I will be happy . The other thing I like about this, is that it is an extended cab . So, the whole family can go along.

Thanks, Raz

Reply to
Hilltop Cycle ATV

Numerous times.

The upper plenum gasket is $8.00 The valve cover gasket -may- be a reusable steel core silicone gasket.

Very possible.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Got the passenger side valve cover off, the hardest part was getting a torx socket on ithe center bolt that is hidden . Found out it is not the passenger side , I will pull the driver's side off , which looks alot easier . Then if I still don't see anything. I am probably "in trouble" , do you have to pull the engine to get the oil pan off on these pickups ?

Thanks for all your time, Raz

Reply to
Hilltop Cycle ATV

" . Then if I still don't see anything. I am probably

I had an 84 with a 460. To remove the pan you had to unbolt the motor mounts, jack the engine up and place a 2x4 between the motor and motor mount. That gave enough clearance to drop the pan, which gave enough room to reach in and unbolt the oil pump pickup. Once that drops into the pan there is enough rooom to get the pan all the way out. If the engine still uses a two piece rear main seal, replace that while you are in there.

Reply to
Tiger Pilot

The easiest way to get the pan off is to remove the upper plenum which you already have off. The exhaust cross over will need to be unbolted to drop down. The engine mounts will have to be unbolted. You may still not have enough clearance to remove the pan. because of the exhaust crossover - that was my case. If that is your case, you have a choice of about three approaches: 1) cut the crossover and have it welded back together at a muffler shop, 2) Diconnnect the trans and pull the engine or 3) remove the transmission support crossmember while supporting the rear of the trans to allow the exhaust to drop firther. I have a cherry picker engine hoist to lift the engine and chose to remove the trans crossmember while supporting the rear of the trans on a stand so the exhaust could drop enough. This was not that much of a job once I got started. Those oil pan gaskets are prone to pop out and lead anyway. Be sure to get the late style FelPro or Ford gasket with the metal reinforcement.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I have a 1986 ford f150 4x4 with the 302. mine also makes some terrible noises but for several years now. the trucks runs great and always has. i was told by a ford mechanic that this engine has an adjustable rocker assembly. the passenger side is noisey. i have not tried to quiet the motor down. the truck came from PA and has alot of rust on bolts etc. everything i try to fix breaks. so i have left it alone. i paid 300.00 for the truck and get a macco paint job every two years. still rust free body.

let me know if you try the repair. i might try it also.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Hillt> > > >

Reply to
sonofadocker

Hi I'm new here I work only on ford trucks NO! you don't have to pull any centre doom at ALL. There is an ekg flex hose don't bend it . you undo the i pan nuts. lift very little and row the pan. Yon may have to play with it and curse a bit yet lol they will come off. Should take about 20 min to1/2hr.Just don't break the flex hose that goes to the motor, for it's brittle and could leak after.

Hillt> I need to change the passenger's side valve cover gasket on this pickup . It

Reply to
Slick

Already ended up removing the center already . Didn't find my problem . So, now, I need to remove the driver's side valve cover . Then if I can't find my knock, then I will have to dig deeper . Do you know if you can remove the oilpan without removing the engine or lossening the motor mounts ? I might have to see if I have a broken piston or worn rod . Thanks, Raz

Reply to
Hilltop Cycle ATV