1986 Toyota Van LE, Starting problems

I just replaced the alternator, battery and starter, checked ground connection solid, battery cable replaced a few years back. When the ignition key is turned on, sometimes it starts ... sometimes it don't, it just "clicks" and "clicks" (solenoid making contacts), but would not crank the engine. Battery voltage at 12.7V, with all connections tight, engine still won't crank. I run out of ideas ... what could be the problem now? Starting is intermittent. If you leave it alone, come back later, it'll fire up, when you shut it down ... tried to restart again, chances are it would not restart. Any idea why and what's happening here?

Reply to
FalconZee

If there is only one click per start attempt, then it sounds like a typical Nippondenso starter with worn out solenoid contacts. If the starter is a parts store reman, it is highly suspect even if new.

Using a DVOM, place the + lead on the large starter lug and the - lead on chassis metal. What is the voltage now? What kind of voltage are you reading when the key is turned to "start" and there is only one loud click? Is it about the same? If so, the starter is likely bad. You wouldn't get one solid, loud click if the solenoid wiring was the culprit. If the voltage in the second test step drops quite a bit, you have a voltage drop on that circuit, but that is unlikely, even for a '86 Van.

If you still have no luck, place the + lead in the back of (backprobe) the smaller solenoid wire terminal at the starter. Check voltage when turning the key and getting the "click". You should have battery voltage here if the starter is the fault. If there is much less than battery voltage, the first thing I would check is the neutral start switch for high resistance in the park/neutral contacts. It is located on the transmission right under the shift linkage on the trans case.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Turn the headlights on before trying to start it. Report back how the headlights act during the time the starter fails to crank.

Reply to
clifto

Did you do this in an attempt to solve the starting problem or did the starting problem exist before you did this?

And do all the interior lights dim when you do this?

12.7 with no load sure sounds like a weak battery to me. What is the voltage while you have the starter engaged?

I run out of ideas ... what could be

Where did you get the rebuilt alternator and starter from? What was the car doing before you installed them? Did you change the voltage regulator when you did the alternator?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Why? 12.68 volts is the theoretical full charge of a standard six cell auto battery in non-loaded and non-topcharged state.

Did you mean that 12.7 volts seems low during charging? I think the OP is referring to an open circuit reading.

At any rate, I outlined some simple tests he could do to isolate the problem if he's so inclined.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish