1987 Tercel timing belt

Hi,

I have two questions, please bear with a weekend mechanic here, for a few minutes,

How difficult is to change the timing belt on a 1987 tercel? I see the timing belt is being covered by a plastic cover on the passenger side. It doesnt look too difficult, but I thought I would be better to ask.

Also, my tercel is dripping quite right underneath my timing belt cover. I wonder if its dripping from the oil pan or???

Any ideas?

thanks

Reply to
Chris

Hi,

I have two questions, please bear with a weekend mechanic here, for a few minutes,

How difficult is to change the timing belt on a 1987 tercel? I see the timing belt is being covered by a plastic cover on the passenger side. It doesnt look too difficult, but I thought I would be better to ask.

Also, my tercel is dripping quite right underneath my timing belt cover. I wonder if its dripping from the oil pan or???

Any ideas?

thanks

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
mbjj

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Chris

Not too bad. Here's a step-by-step photo journal:

-Ted

Reply to
Ted Johnson

Hi!

thanks for the info! I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!

is this your site???

do you have any step by step instruction besides the photo journal?

THANKS!

Reply to
Chris

No problem. Nice to hear there are other 1987 Tercel's out there.

Yup. I mainly did it to play with my new digital camera ;-)

The written instrs I used were:

1) the official Toyota Service Manual for the 1987 Tercel Sedan - amazingly, this manual is still available at dealers. I just got mine last year. You do have to order it though. Cost: $85 - contains detailed drawings and instrs for your exact make and model 2) the Haynes Tercel manual ($20) - good overview info, as well as tips and instrs It also helps to have two different explns for the timing belt procedure.

BTW, I also have the Chilton manual, but it was not nearly as useful as (1) or (2).

-Ted

Reply to
Ted Johnson