1988 Buick Park Ave - no start

Hi,

I'm helping a friend who needs to get a car back on the road. It broke down several years ago and was parked. It's a 1988 Buick two- door, with the 3800 fuel injected engine. The starter works fine, engine spins freely but doesn't even try to fire. Electric fan comes on when you turn on the key and stays on. The fuel pump is not heard. All fuses look good. Checking the schrader valve on the fuel rail, there is no fuel pressure. We know the gas is very old, might just drop the tank and clean it out if we have to do the fuel pump anyway. Where can I check for voltage to fuel pump without dropping the tank? What does the fan coming on mean?

Also, the car has the digital climate control system which I believe can be used to retrieve ECM codes? Any links to a how-to page?

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
"Harry Smith"
88 has a rectangular ALDL plug. There are code readers for this, but all they are is a short to two pins so the check engine light flashes out the codes.

You can check voltage to the fuel pump by getting under the car and sticking the needle of a circuit tester in the wires while a helper turns the key. Clip the ground of the circuit tester to the chassis.

This page gives some information on OBD:

Jon G.

"\"Harry Smith\"" wrote in news:86e52351-ecaf- snipped-for-privacy@r15g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

harry, the harness going to the fuel delivery module in the tank has a light gray wire. that powers the fuel pump....climate control giving you codes? beats me, but, on obd1 you short out pins 1 and 2 - - - - - - 1 2 ' ' ' ' - - - - - - ' ' ' ' ' ' with a paper clip, turn on the key and start counting flashes of the CEL. to delete codes, disconnect battery for a few.............bill

Reply to
bill

bill wrote in news:Xns9B03B3DAA559Bbyteme@208.49.82.60:

my diagram sucked after wordwrap got ahold of it.....terminals you short are on the top row side by side.................

Reply to
bill

Thanks to all who responded.

I didn't see an ALDL but I'll look again. Does it matter which engine it has? Two different versions of the 3800 were available in '88, the older mid-eighties style and the later early-ninties style. I believe this one is the '80s style.

Reply to
"Harry Smith"