1989 Astro Van ECM Access/Removal

I am trying to replace the ECM of my 1989 Chevrolet Astro van but do not know how to locate the ECM. According to the diagram on its service manual, it's a series "M" van and the ECM is located close to the firewall of the passenger side compartment, on the "right hand side plenum panel" with four mounting screws. I looked at the passenger side but had no clue where it could be. Should I remove the entire plastic vent housing facing the passenger seat first in order to find the ECM?

Any help is appreciated.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

According to my Haynes manual, it's inside the car, hidden behind the kick panel in front of the passenger side door. That is, it's inside the side wall of the passenger compartment, in front of the right front door, such that the passenger's right foot would lean against it if the covering panel were not there.

No, but if you start finding coolant on the floor on the passenger side, you'll want to. That's where the heater core is hidden. :-)

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

follow the cluster of wires to da box

Reply to
tudysmuck

Right on and thanks a lot!

However, after replacing the ECM, still did not get any spark. I followed the ignition coil checks in the service manual and it seems to be OK. Any suggestions?

It died on the road last Monday and unfortunately I removed the battery for charging and thus the only code I got from scanner is code 12.

Tom

Reply to
Tom