1990 Dodge Caravan 3.0 liter

Van cranks but wont turn over, seems like the belts are moving slower than they should but this might be my imagination. Have changed starter, battery, spark plugs,wires, rotor and distributor cap. Been cold lately and have had no luck getting it started, had someone look at it and tell me that there is plenty of spark, but he was unsure what to do next!! I go out and try to start it a few times a day and today my battery was dead? Nothing was on at all, doors were all shut. Also hear Fuel pump start up when I turn the key over. Please Help!! THanks

Reply to
Momof5

Well, you might well have run the battery down trying to start it. Also, since it cranks, there probably was no reason to replace the starter.

The place to begin is to check for stored flash codes from the engine control computer.

To check the computer codes:

With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on, leaving it "ON". Do not go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.

Watch the "Check Engine" or "Power Loss" light. It will turn on, then go off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored. For instance, if it flashes:

flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a

55 (five and five). 55 means "end of codes" or, if by itself, "No codes stored. Check the codes and report what you find.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

Codes here:

Tom Ruta

Okay, I checked the codes, the ones I got were 12 (battery was recently disconnected) 24(throttle positioning sensor)

41(alternator field control circuit open or shorted) and 22( Coolant temperature sensor signal out of range)... What should be my next step? P.S. I am a single woman with limited help!!! thanks for getting me this far!!
Reply to
Momof5

Mm. Multiple problems indicated. It's possible all these problems are real, but it's somewhat likely there's a wiring problem -- potentially corrosion at the 60-pin connector that connects the engine control computer to the engine wiring.

Do you have a mechanic you trust?

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I have a cousin that works on my car regularly, I just moved to this area and do not know any of the local mechanics(which consist of 2). Is there anything I should tell him to look for? I have been having him read all my posts and the reply's. Thanks again

Reply to
Momof5

disconnected) 24(throttle positioning sensor)

temperature sensor signal out of range)... What should be my next step? P.S. I am a single woman with limited help!!! thanks for getting me this far!!

I would start with the coolant temp out of range. Using a meter check the resistance across the coolant temp sensor and see if it is out of spec (bad sensor). I am a little worried about the multiple codes you are getting. Could be larger issues than just a sensor.

Steve B.

Reply to
Joe

After checking all the sensors and cleaning then we checked the codes again and all that showed up was a 12. Still cranks but no start. He checked to see if I was getting any gas and noticed that there was an oily-gassy mixture spraying out of the mannifold vaccum source and out of the throttle body when I cranked it over. He said one side is supposed to create suction and could not understand why they were both spraying out. He wanted me to come on here and ask if the timing belt would have anything to do with this? If not what else could be the problem? Thanks again and Merry Christmas!!!

Reply to
Momof5

That's not good.

Almost certainly. Sounds as if the valves are opening at the wrong time, causing pressure rather than vacuum in the intake tract and blowing the fuel spray from the injectors outwards instead of sucking it inwards. This would indeed indicate the timing belt has jumped and needs proper replacement.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern