1990 GM W body 2 questions

Wife's car

Rear strut, DIY or take it in? and charging system question. The charge light came on, and the digital voltmeter shows about 1/4 (like a gas gage), but I have 13.9 volts at the battery at idle, and with lights, blower and wipers on I show 13.7 at idle. No fluctuation when revving. Any ideas where to start looking? It's a ways to take it anywhere to get properly checked, and I don't want it do die on the way & pay a tow charge if I can avoid it.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Might possibly be a shorted diode, but the only ways I knew to test for that involved access to the field terminal (i.e. no internal regulator). The procedure was one of the few useful things I ever found in a Chilton's.

That's no fun.

Reply to
clifto