1990 Olds Cutlass Ciera PCV Valve

Where the heck is this thing? The aftermarket repair book shows a picture of it on the 3.3 but it's not there on my car. I've looked all around and it is nowhere to be found. It's supposed to be in front of the first plug on the front left side. Help heheh

Joseph

Reply to
joseph

On the 3.3 it's below the alternator. Theoretically you should not have to remove the intake manifold, but I can just about guarantee it will have to come off.

Reply to
« Paul »

Seriously? Oh man... Who engineered this thing? hehe

The plugs are damn near impossible to get out in the back, and it took me almost 2 hours to figure out how to open the plug wire route. I was near just prying it out...

Thanks!

Reply to
joseph

...from a forum somewhere on Google: "Changing a PCV valve is such a routine operation that shop manuals don't even cover it. However, GM really painted themselves into a corner on the 3.3 Liter engine. I am working on a 1993 Olds Cierra but the problem must be the same on Buicks etc. as well. The PCV valve is located below the fuel rail right next to the intake manifold on the front of the engine (right side of the car)." Sincerely hope this may help a bit. sdlomi2

Reply to
sdlomi2

I suppose that when it was all new and clean the pvc valve could be pried out. However, after several years the rubber grommets harden up, break off, and fall into the intake and crankcase. The clip is next to impossible to get off. Fortunately, some generic replacement grommets are available from your local auto parts. The rest you can grind down and make fit. It's probably time to change the intake gaskets anyhow.

Reply to
« Paul »

I got it out! :)

Had to disconnect some wires. The clip was a royal pain, but was able to shift it down on the valve then pry the valve up until it popped out. Getting it back on was an equal pain in the butt, but it went on. Whew!

Reply to
joseph

Excellent! Thanks for letting us know.

Reply to
« Paul »

could you explain how to open the plug route i am having trouble myself thanks!

Reply to
m_mblues

It slides to the side to snap out. It doesn't just unclip and pull out like one would intuitively believe.

Reply to
joseph