1990 Olds Stalls/Bogs on acceleration

This car is a 3.1 v6 it runs ok most of the time. But randomly out of nowhere it will bog and stall when you push the gas pedal. Then the next minute it will be fine and drive like that for awhile. Then out of nowhere the stalling and bogging happens again. What i have done so far is unhooked the exhaust thinking it was plugged, and it still did it. I unhooked and plugged the manifold where the EGR valve was and it still did it. I also sprayed carb cleaner in all 3 pintles and it never leaked into the center of the EGR valve.... I changed the ignition module and coil packs with known good ones from another car that was working fine. And it still did it. I then watched the fuel pressure while it was bogging and it held steady around 40 psi.... I swapped the map, and iac valve for the ones in the other car and it was the same.... I put the car in neutral and it still bogged..... I tried the injectors from the other car and it still did it.... I put a vacuum gauge on it and it has about 18 on the gauge so it doesn't seem like a vacuum leak. I also sprayed around looking for leaks with carb cleaner and found none just in case. I tested the tps, coolant temp and air temp sensors and they all worked as they should. I also put the crank sensor on my meter and it worked the way it should also.... I checked voltage at the battery and alternator and both stayed around 14v while accelerating.... I checked all the spark plugs and they are gapped properly and don't look wet or lean.... I really don't know what else to check for. Did i miss anything to look for? Is this a common problem with a fix that is know for this car? It is really un drivable at the moment because the stalling always happens at intersections after being stopped at a light. you go to accelerate and it will die, restarts fine then dies when you try to go.... but will run fine if it is just idling

Reply to
ecartman84

Looks like you changed/tested everything, except one of the first things you shoulda done. Change the fuel filter.

Reply to
thenitedude

I had an 89 Celbrity with 4 cyl engine had the same symptom...it would run fine but once in a while when you step on the gas after a red light, it would bog and stall.. It would re-start and run fine..

I never did find the problem...

At one point I was thinking maybe a throttle position sensor problem.. I replaced it and that did not fix it...

Let us know if you figure it out...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I forgot to add , in my case it seems it would never happen twice in a row..you had to be stopped and idling at a light for a minute or so before it would happen.. just a quick stop and it would never happen, and it would never happen after a re-start, you had to sit idling in drive for a minute or two before it would happen...

very tough to troubleshoot... you would really need to instrument the car to determine if it was a spark or fuel problem or what...

to the other poster, i don't see how this could be a fuel filter problem...

please let us know if you ever figure it out

Reply to
Mark

Think the 4's had throttle body, but my '88 Celebrity 2.8 with MFI had similar symptoms. Stalled leaving a stop light, but not always. Progressed a couple weeks later to stumbling while accelerating, but not always. My mechanic replaced 2 injectors and that fixed it.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

No trouble codes?

there are 3 possibilities. Too much fuel - too little fuel - not enough spark. It would help if you figured out which. Your description suggests not enough fuel as the most likely.

Doesn't this engine have a vacuum controlled pressure regulator that controls fuel pressure to the rail? If so the pressure should drop when idling and increase when you step on the gas. The vacuum hose to the regulator can collapses after idling for a while and that might cause the symptoms. Or I suppose the regulator could just be sticky, but those are just wild guesses based on the assumption it is not getting enough gas which could be wrong.

-jim

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

jim

thanks for the replys, I forgot to add I did also change the fuel filter... it was actually the first thing i did. And it did nothing. When i check the fuel pressure it reads high 30s at idle and when i step on the gas it does increase. It seems like it is not getting enough fuel to me, when it starts to bog if i spray a little carb cleaner in the hole for the air dam it picks it back up instead of killing it like it normally would. But my pressure looks good and I tried injectors out of another car that has been working just fine... So i don't know how it would not get enough fuel?

Reply to
ecartman84

Good test. And was your fuel pressure test also while the problem was occurring? I mean one would expect all tests to tell you nothing when the problem isn't there. If you are testing the right function when the problem occurs you should see what it is. The MAP sensor would have a vacuum signal also that could be faulty due to bad tubing. Throttle position can have dirty electrical connections. You said you changed that right?

-jim

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

jim

if you can get the problem to happen in the garage while you are troubleshooting it, then you may have a chance. Mine would only happen when i was actually driving it...

So if the problem is a lack of fuel problem and you have changed the injector(s) and the fuel supply pressure is good,.... can you monitor the electrical signals feeding to the injectors with an o'scope if you can or at least a voltmeter. If the voltage (or pulse width actually) drops or does not increase when it should, then we know the computer is not telling the injector to inject more gas for some reason when it should be when you step on the gas...

i.e.

is the computer not telling the injector to spray more gas?

or

is the computer telling the injector to spray more, but the injector does not or cannot obey?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

ok all good stuff.... and I was checking the fuel pressure while it was having the bogging issue. The problem is random and only happens some of the time, but it will happen with the car parked or me driving it. I would by hand move the throttle linkage with the gauge attached and watch the gauge. As the car started to bog the pressure would actually stay the same or climb it would never drop.... Is it possible for the pressure to be at spec but still have too low volume? As far as the map sensor and tps sensor, the map sensor i replaced with a known good one and did not change. I hooked my meter up to it and it read correctly, with and without me jiggling the wires around and tugging on them. the tps sensor pretty much the same deal except i didn't put on another sensor, i just test it similar to the map. It shows smooth operation from closed to wot. Does anyone know where the ecm is at on this beast, I want to check the wires going directly into it?

Reply to
ecartman84

Because the ECU isn't giving it enough. It's time to get a scanner and start looking at the inputs and outputs.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I wish winaldl would work with this motor!!!!!!

Reply to
ecartman84

I tried listening to the injectors with my long screwdriver. and it sounds as if all of them are clicking and not missing a click when the engine is bogging...

Reply to
ecartman84

connect a volt meter to them..

when you open the throttle, there has to be an increase in gas flow, in the old days the accelerator pump did this,,,

you will not be able to tell by hearing the clicks if more or less gas is being injected... the clicking will tell you that some gas is being injected...

looking at the meter you should be able to see the voltage or pulse width increase when you open the throttle..like a dwell meter used to work..

Do you have the service manual?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

also in my Celebrity which was single injector throttle body by the way... the problem would not persist for long enough to set a code....I had no codes or check engine light..

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I had an 89 Regal with the 2.8 that did the same thing. It was the injectors.

Reply to
HLS

was it the injectors themselves bad or the wiring to them?

Reply to
ecartman84

Could he simulate the load from acceleration by putting it in drive and chocking the wheels and putting on the parking brake, then giving it some gas? It might not look the same to the computer, but it produces some of the same conditions.

Reply to
Matt

I'll contribute a probably-dumb idea. I haven't seen anybody mention the spark advance. Does the car have a vacuum advance? Maybe those went out with carburetors ...

Reply to
Matt

Yea this car has no vacuum advance, the computer does it all. It doesn't even have a distributor

Reply to
ecartman84