* 1990 Olds Stalls/Bogs on acceleration * Update!!!

This is the update to the post I made awhile back on here

The whole time I had been working on this car I had been testing everything and it all tested good, there was nothing bad in the entire car! This was very off putting considering the car still had the mystery bog. I took a little time off from the car, and recently have been back on the job. I have come to the conclusion that it must be the ecm because everything else tested good. I have since gone to the local pick a part and picked up another ecm for $25 and slapped it in. Then Bam! it is fixed, just like that! I have also done some reading and it seems alot of people have to replace this particular ecm. Also the one i got out of the wrecking yard came from a 1990 olds cutlass also with the 3.1 and it says re manufactured from GM on it, which means that even that car had the ecm replace at one point. Anywho Thanks everyone for the suggestions, it was surely one of the hardest car problems i have ever tried to diagnose.

Reply to
Ecartman84

Buy another ecm at the pick a part place.Try it out, if it works ok, keep it for a spare. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Only $25? My car developed a fault that causes the STOP warning light to come on on very hot days if I have the air-con turned on. The garage said the only cure was to replace the ECM at a cost of about 400 ($600), though that was purely cosmetic and didn't pose a danger to the car, so I've left it. I now know that if the light comes on without any other light such as ignition or oil, and if it goes out as soon as I turn the air-con off, I can ignore it as a false alarm.

Reply to
Mortimer

DO NOT discard your old ECM yet. Swap PROMS from your old one into the replacement one. I learned the hard way. Mine now has an incorrect speedo, and fuel mileage is down about 10 percent. (I make the same long trip every month, and know the exact distance from before swapping ECM's) The PROMS are matched to all options on the car. I also had to kludge the air conditioning, as the ECM I got probably wasn't set up for air conditioning. It used to work until I swapped ECM's due to a no start condition.

Steve Walker

Reply to
Steve Walker

DO NOT, swap the proms yet. Run the car and see if everything is OK. If you got a "reman from GM", it's possible it came with a prom, and an "updated one at that. It is also possible your prom is bad.

Reply to
thenitedude

Am not sure, if i worded my post wrong or something. But I replaced the ecm with the one from the junkyard and it fixed the problem 100 percent! Everything is working great, and i didn't swap out the prom from the old one either. I am assuming that the Reman from GM ecm probably has some sort of update that the original didn't have. But anywho the car is working great! And the ecm at the pick a part normally cost 50 or 60 but i talked the guy way down that is how i got it for 25 :)

Reply to
Ecartman84

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I should have specified. If all is OK then leave it alone. I found out my speedo was off after I discarded the old ECM, when I took one of my monthly trips. Distance was off, and even recalculating for correct distance, fuel mileage was down. Then when I needed the A/C, I found out the ECM came from a car without A/C, and the ECM sets idle speed for A/C, and activates the A/C compressor. I haven't been able to find out how to get the correct PROM for my car. The dealer was not helpful, as in, not available, sorry.

Reply to
Steve Walker