1990 Toyota Camry starting HELP!

Hi all,

I have a bit of an interesting problem with my camry. First off, it's an 1990 camry automatic v6. Right now I can't start my car... This is my problem! I turn the ignition key on and i get nothing. The car won't turn over, there are no dash lights that come on, nothing! The inside lights of the car still work as well as my headlights but my brake lights, signal lights, and everything else doesn't seem to work. Everytime i turn over the key i get absolutely zero response. Has someone else experienced this before or know what it could be? Any help would be great, thanks!

Reply to
zero.revz

I'm thinking maybe one of the main fuses in the power distribution box under the hood is blown. Either that or the ignition switch could be bad. Of course, check the fuses first.

Reply to
Kevin

Thank you very much Kevin for replying. I'll double check the fuses again when i get home from work today. When i checked them last night none of them seemed to be blown. Well except for the CDS fuse i believe it is? That thing was fried but i was told that it is not related to the problem i have (although i must change it).

I'm just wondering if perhaps i shorted something and if so, what it could be? One of the connection on my alternator kept coming loose. It is like a tiny bolt on top of the alternator that has a wire with an O ring like end that slips ontop of it. When i went to tighten the nut that went ontop of that bolt i got a small spark because like a dummy i forgot to disconnect the battery. Is it possible i shorted something and if so, what could it be? I also have an old alarm on the car that keeps arming and disarming itself whenever it feels like. Perhaps that might be the problem also? Thanks for all of your help.

Kev> > Hi all,

Reply to
zero.revz

Sparking at the alternator almost always blows either a fuse or a fuse link wire. If it blew the fuse link wire, the ignition may also be on that circuit.

Normally the fuse link wires are at the end of the positive battery cable where it bolts on. I don't know the location of yours.

Fuse link wires have a loop on one end that goes to the bolt the power wire bolts to either on the starter or power distribution box and are about 8" long with a fat rubber tube crimp connector where they join the harness. The dealer will (should) sell fuse link wire by the foot.

Mike

Mike Romain

Thank you so much for your help! i double checked the alt fuse last night and sure enough that was blown. i was able to put a new fuse in and boom, the car runs perfect now. thanks again!

Mike Roma> Sparking at the alternator almost always blows either a fuse or a fuse

Reply to
zero.revz