1991 Buick LeSabre Transmission

I recently had the good fortune of recieving the above mentioned vehicle "free". This car will become my son's when he turns 16 in a few years. So far, the only major problems appear to be a leaky exhaust and a transmission that will only go in reverse. There are some minor cosmetic problems, but relatively minor.

The transmission worries me a bit. The fluid is a brownish color, and smells almost like poower steering fluid. I do not know the service history of the car, but will assume not much has been done as far as regular maintenance is concerned. Vaccuum lines all appear to be intact, and the linkage looks ok. What are the chances of this being a simply fluid and filter changes vs. transmission rebuild?

Also, are there any other problems I should be on hte look out for with this vehicle?

Thanks in adance! Doug

Reply to
Doug

I would say a fluid and filter change fixing a trans problem like that would be quite a miracle. Bet on needing a rebuild..

Reply to
Robert Hancock