1992 Explorer Longevity

We just purchased a 1992 Explorer XLT 4WD in great shape but with

178,000 miles on it.. Its a 5 speed stick with a new clutch. This SUV will only be used for a limited role....towing our 17 foot bowrider boat and trailer to the lake and back...maybe ten miles each way.......putting the boat in and out of the water. The vehicle seems to run fine, has a new radiator and cold A/C. We only paid $1,000 for it as all we need it for is for occassional use to tow the boat. It has a large 6 cylinder engine. My question is.....can anyone offer an opinion about how many miles a vehicle like this lasts,on average? It appears to be well cared for with the oil changed every 3,000 miles. The high mileage scared us a bit, but the price was right and we will only be driving it a few hundred miles per year at the most.

Doug and Patty

Reply to
MRTYMCFLY

I've been told that these Explorers tend to have automatic transmission difficulties. I know one fellow who has one and despite having never changed the transmission fluid (convinced it is a bad idea to do so), it has not caused any problems. Another fellow has one that sometimes refuses to drop into gear even though the correct fluid is in it and is new. Since yours is a manual, I would not anticipate these sort of problems.

When not in use, rubber loves to rot. Aside from that, keep up with the maintenance and you should have nothing to worry about.

I don't know if these trucks have sealed wheel bearings or not. If you ever submerge the wheels when lowering the boat into the water, keep in mind that the water will take care of the wheel bearings in a hurry if it gets in. Normal wheel bearings should be repacked at least yearly under these conditions. That goes for boat trailers too.

Reply to
Ryan Underwood