1992 Honda Accord ABS Dash Light - Error Code

HI

I have a 1992 Honda Accord. The ABS light has started to come on. If I start the car, and dont drive it does not come on but after about 30 seconds of driving it comes on and stays on.

I followed the instructions in another post and used a paper clip to short the connector by the passenger foot plate.

when I turned on the switch, all the dash lights including the ABS one came on. Then the ABS light flashed 3 times.

Does anyone know what that code means??

Secondly, worse case scenario, if that code suggests the pump is gone, (which I would not replace because of the $$$), is there a fuse or breaker that I can remove to make the warning light go out?

Thanks for your help

jasguild

Reply to
jasguild

The goofy code system on 1rst generation Honda ABS systems leaves two possibilities for the three flashes you saw.

A) One flash followed shortly by two flashes indicates a pump motor that isn't running for some reason. You will need a service manual to check all of the possible causes for this code.

B) Two flashes followed shortly by one flash indicates a problem with the parking brake light or low brake fluid light circuit. Make sure the dash light that reads "BRAKE" goes off when you release the parking brake, and if it doesn't then check the master cylinder for correct fluid level. The fluid could be low or the parking brake switch could be bad. Anything past this point and again you will require a service manual to proceed. Keep in mind that driving with the parking brake on even one click will set this code.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Hey Comboverfish

I rechecked the flash sequence and it is in fact the 1 - 2 variety which apparently is bad news. It is your scenario A which suggest a problem with the pump. :( I have two questions for you.

1) Can you help me finding what all scenarios can trigger this pump code?

2) If in fact the pump is bad I will not replace it becaues it is not worth putting that much money in a car of this age. I would just drive it without ABS which according to the manual is fine. However, is there a way to disable the light permanently? It is very annoying driving with it on especially at night. I read there is a way to get it disabled using the park brake for the first 30 seconds but that is inconvenient too as it would have to be done every time the car is started.

Any suggestion/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

jasguild

Reply to
jasguild

[...]

1) Code 1-2 means the ABS computer has determined that the pump is not running when commanded to. I don't know if it relies on current measurement, pressure switch input, or both. The point is, the motor is probably bad. It could simply be the pump motor relay, it could be wiring, it could be the computer driver, it could be the pressure switch... you see where I'm going with this.

Here's a cut and paste of some generic Honda pump testing info from BBA-reman.com:

ABS pump motor relay: How to check-make sure ignition is switched off-remove the pump motor relay

-place ohmmeter probes between relay terminals C and D

-ohmmeter will read infinity (open circuit) if good

-whilst ohmmeter still connected, apply 12 volt supply to replay terminals A and B

-ohmmeter will read zero (continuity) if good

-if readings are different from above relay might be defective.

ABS pump motor: How to check

-IT IS IMPORTANT not to force the pump to run for more than 10 seconds

-check fuse for pump motor

-check ABS pump relay as previously described

-if these prove ok remove pump relay

-join pump relay female terminals 1 and 2 with a bridge wire

-pump motor should run and begin to labour quickly

-if motor is not running apply 12 volts directly to the 2 pin large orange connector plug

-if motor is not running, replacement pump is required

2) If you are dead set against fixing the problem, you can always remove the ABS bulb in the instrument cluster.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish