1992 to 1994 corsica

Hi,

I'd like to ask a question about the interchangability of parts on chevy corsicas. I used to own a 1994 chevy corsica which had a v6 engine, but the motor gave out last November. Ever since then, I've been without transportation.

So I've tried to save up money to purchase a car outright with cash, and I've spotted a 1992 chevy corsica V6 in the classifieds which has over 130,000 miles for $1700. I don't like the fact that it has so much mileage, but I'm trying to look on the brightside as it's all I can afford, and that my last Corsica lasted over 249,000 miles before it expired. And it kind of expired sooner than it needed to because of a damaged cylinder head and blown gasket, which I didn't have money to fix at the time. Unfortunately because of neglecting that problem I paid the ultimate price when the motor just went kaput. So I'm hoping this 1992 will last at least that long, or longer than the other one. A question I'd like to ask is, If you change the oil and spark plugs on a regular basis, how long do you estimate these kind of cars can last - mileage wise?

What I'm wondering from those knowledgable is whether or not the parts from these cars will be interchangable..such as alternators and etc? I'm thinking that purchasing the '92 would be a good idea as I already have a scrapped corsica that I can pull parts off of. It's a good deal as long as the parts are all interchangable, but I wonder if on the models past '92 there could be some major modifications.

thanks

Reply to
Tysteel40

I just called up the auto parts store, and it looks like the parts are not interchangable. For example, the alternators are different, and so are the radiators.

Reply to
Tysteel40

Tysteel40 wrote in rec.autos.tech

Many of the parts probably are interchangeable. To really find out go to a junk yard and ask them to look it up for you. They have a book that lists what parts are interchangeable. You can also go on line to some of the auto parts stores and look up part numbers for both years. If they match, then at least somebody builds interchangeable parts. However, since it is basically the same engine, and was used in alot of different GM models you should be able to interchange a lot of parts, not only with your other car, but with a lot of other cars.

Reply to
Dick C

Tysteel40 wrote in rec.autos.tech

Really. My search just showed the same part numbers for the 2 years on the alternator.

Reply to
Dick C