1993 GMC Yukon repair

I am working on my truck and can't remove the front drive shaft from the transfer case. Is there a special way it comes off? I have hit it with a hammer and used a flat screwdriver as well as a chisel to try and separate the flanges but to no avail it is still together. It is the only thing holding me up from removing the transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
bek_02

Spray the flanges with penetrant, then get in the truck and engage 4wd with trans in N or P. Place in gear with foot on brake and see if engine idle torque breaks the flange loose. As soon as you hear a noise, turn the key off instead of putting the shifter in park (eventually put it back in park when the parts stop turning). All of this needs to be done with an otherwise fully assembled truck. If you are already on jackstands and can't do this, I would suggest having a helper pry as best as possible in the recess of the axle flange using an angled tip prybar (big) while you carefully rap the edge of the flange with a steel hammer. Hit it hard but don't swage the steel. Keep striking in a different area each time. Keep alternating the prybar on opposite sides of the flange.

One point: I think the transfer flange has studs, correct? If so I would install several nuts before trying my first "4wd" suggestion; leave them one or two threads loose for some movement but not so loose that the stud threads could be damaged in the area the nut is finish torqued. If the flange uses bolts/nuts, temporarily install a couple spare bolts/nuts just for the breaking loose procedure and give the gas a good romp; you shouldn't hurt anything that way and you'll save the OEM hardware for reassembly.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish