1993 Nissan Altima

Hello,

I recently bought a used 1993 Nissan Altima as a daily driver. Yesterday, when I tried to fire it up, a huge cloud of black smoke came out of the exhaust and the car made this horrible sound.

The car does not start anymore. When I try to start it, all I hear is this click/knocking sound in the engine bay area.

If anyone can help me out as to what this might be I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

John McElroy

Reply to
zofang7247

Might've slipped a cog on one of the timing chains (this car has an upper and a lower). The upper chain tensioner is operated by oil pressure and can freeze up if the oil passage gets clogged. There was also a problem on this engine with the chain guides (both upper and lower) disintegrating.

If your problem is the upper chain, it can be easily repaired. The lower is a major job. However - quit trying to crank it. You're probably smacking valves into piston heads.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Reply to
Steve B.