1993 Plymouth Acclaim Check Engine light

Hello,

I have a 1993 Plymouth Acclaim 3.0L V6 w/ Automatic transmission. This evening the check engine light came on. I obtained the error code by doing the self diagnosis where you rev the engine up, turn the ac on/off, Shift thru all the gears and then turn the Ingition key ON, OFF, ON, OFF and finally ON.

The Check engine light blinked 3 times, paused and blinked 5 more time (error code 35)

Error Code 35 = Radiator fan relay indicates open or shorted condition

Then blinked 5 times paused and blinked 5 more times (error code 55)

Error Code 55 = this is the end of Message code

Then after a long puase the check engine light blinked 10 times without

a pause. Is this normal?

I am confused with the error reading of 35 because the radiator fan does come on. Can the Radiator fan relay be bad and the fan still turn on?

Thanks for listening,

Paul

Reply to
grafgulch

"I am confused with the error reading of 35 because the radiator fan does come on. Can the Radiator fan relay be bad and the fan still turn on? "

The short answer is yes. The supply could be shorted to the load which would make the fan run all of the time. Relays can go bad any number of ways, and they're usually pretty cheap if your car uses the standard 4 or 5 prong style relay to do this job. Check with napa or auto zone..usually they'll run you about 7 bucks.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

Thanks for the help. It turns out the check engine light came on because my alternator was going out. Driving to work friday morning my radio started cutting out and the guage on my dash started falling to the left. I made it to work and luckly found a trickle charger to recharge my battery, so I could make it back home. I hooked up a voltmeter found I was only producing a little over 12 volts. I went to the local junk yard and found a $35 alternator and everything works good now. Those Check Engines codes can be a little missleading sometimes

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
grafgulch