1995 Buick Park Ave Ultra Will not start

HI All I'm new to the group, My neighbor gave me a 1995 Park ave ultra> The battery was weak so I hooked up my charger /starter to it hoping that it would help me start the car, but it did not. I was trying to figure out if its the starter that is bad , or would the Pass Key security system make this car not start? When I turn the ket into the start position all of the lights come on, but there is NO activity from the starter. Is there anyway to disable the Security system , so that I can weed that this is not , wahy it won't start?? I really dont;want to start replaceing parts unless they relly need to be replaced. Thanks For reading this, I hope somebody can help.

Reply to
milkman

Your car has a system system known as VATS. If you do not have the correct value chip in the key, the car will not crank or start. Does the key you are using have a small black pellet in the blade of the key? It should have. If it is a key that used to work, there could be other problems. It is common for the wires that go from the plastic ears on the lock to break. There are more things that can be said, but the key question needs to be answered first.

Dennis Auto & Bike Pros Locksmiths

Reply to
Dennis

That is really good advice, Dennis. I fought one of these for a year or two until I got fed up, and I bypassed the VATS system. Yes, some would repair them, but I was tired of the BS.

The precision resistor used to bypass the system cost less than a buck.

These GM models often have corroded internal connections on the battery cables. This is another thing to check, as well as the starter.

Reply to
hls

If the battery is down get it charged up or replaced. Does the anti theft or security light go out after key is on? Factory or add on alarm system? Chip in key system? If not turn key on for 15-20 minutes and see if it will go out and start. If no crank after battery is charged up jumper the started solenoid wire with 12 volt jumper and make sure the starter is working.

Reply to
MT-2500

Reply to
milkman