1995 cavalier brakes

Hi, My 95' Cavalier has 201,000km on it. The rear brakes lock up REAL easy. It's very unsafe. I have replaced both rear drums and adjusted the brakes. That made the lockup not as bad, but still unsafe. The tires will only lock at slow speeds (under 20km/h). But braking from high speeds I can feel the rear grabbing way to much. Driving in the rain is horrid, I have spun out a few times. Also lastyear a new master clyinder was installed. The ABS no longer works on the car, so I have pulled the fuse. I was quoted over $1500 to fix it, so that's a no go. Will changing the rear shoes to rivited shoes help me out? Any other tips? Am I the only one with this problem?

Reply to
Daniel.Flather

I would recommend that you sell the Cavalier to a teenager and buy a Honda Civic.

Reply to
RevToTheRedline

Reply to
Shep

No, this problem is new. I was thinking proportioning valve, and that baby is dealer item only, $$. I migh have to bite it and take it in. It's way to un-safe.

Reply to
Daniel.Flather

Honda is having the 2005 Year End Clearance right now, you can get a killer deal on a brand new Civic, very safe car and very reliable.

Reply to
RevToTheRedline

Yeah, a new civic would be nice. I'm waiting to see the new Honda jazz/fit, when it's here in NA. Spring 2006 I think it's here.

Reply to
Dan

Can I have your Cavalier? It's the best compact car ever made, and I'd really like one but I can't afford new.

Reply to
RevToTheRedline

That exact proportioning valve may be dealer only, but there are non OEM adjustable valves available. How much $$$$ does the dealer want?

Reply to
<HLS

The first thing I would do is change the rear brake shoes back to the original GM brake shoes. There have been problems on and off over the years with cheap quality rear brake shoes on different GM models. The old A-bodies in the 80's had this same problem, change the rear shoes back to original GM shoes...problem gone.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

the rear shoes back to original GM

The shoes in the car now are GM shoes.

Reply to
Dan

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote: How much $$$$ does the dealer want?

I just called, they said $215.00

Reply to
Dan

Found this source under Google--bet it would be way cheaper than $215--luck to you. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Another, probably better source:

sdlomi2

&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp&x=26&y=11 Summiit have good people IMHO. I would try this route rather than kiss up to a dealer.

Reply to
<HLS

Dan, also make sure you run only the highest octane fuel 91+ in your Cavalier, it has a very high performance race like engine.

Reply to
RevToTheRedline

Yeahhhh,.....Umm...I'll do that.

Reply to
Dan

Warning: Don't feed the trolls.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Of couse new brake shoes are not the answer to your problem. Have you checked your front brakes? If they are not working properly, it could cause the problem you describe.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Front brakes are minty. I was told by a mechanic at the local GM dealer to change the springs that pull the shoes back. He said 80% of the time that solves the prob. I'll try that as that is a cheap fix. I'll report back if that helps or not.

Reply to
Dan

You said in your original post "will changing the rear shoes to riveted shoes help me out". This tells me you don't have riveted shoes, which means you don't the OEM GM rear shoes on. You may have some form of "AC Delco" shoes, but if they are not riveted, you don't have the OEM GM shoes. I just did two sets of Cavalier rear brakes today, and our GM brake shoes for these cars are riveted.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai