1995: chevy cavalier . 2 door. Cooling fan swtich.. where is it? please help!

Hello

I have a 1995 cavalier. The cooling fan is not turning on even when the engine is red hot!. its electrical driven, and I am sure theres has to be a switch somewhere that tells it when to turn it on / off. I cannot seem to be able to find it. Any one has any ideas?

Any help is highly appreciated

Reply to
Rob

check and see if you got power to the fan if not check the relay if you got power you have a blown fan motor

UNDER HOOD, DRIVER SIDE, FRONT SIDE OF STRUT TOWER, MOUNTED ON FENDERWELL

Reply to
tudysmuck

One of the engine temp sensors tells the computer to turn on the fan at a certain temp. The ecu then switches on the fan relay. On your particular car, I don't know where the relay is located. HOWEVER, a 1995 has a good chance of the fan motor being bad and not the relay or sensor.

Reply to
« Paul »

thanks guys

i appreciate your inputs

1
Reply to
Rob

Try jumping the fan directly to the battery before going further. Careful - Those motors have quite a bit of torque (if good) and will readily slice fingers.

Reply to
« Paul »

On my 1995 Camaro, there are three fan relays located in the fuse/relay box, which, when you open the hood, is located on the driver side fenderwell.

You can take these relays out and check for continuity across a couple of the terminals (1 & 4) - then apply ground/positive to two other posts (2-/5+) and recheck for continuity (should be). Check for power for each of the relays' socket, to ensure power is arriving at the relays.

Check the fuses, too. Apply power to the fans, directly; they should come on. If not, the fans are bad.

You can also turn on the A/C - this should kick on the fans. It's a quick test, but does not necessarily tell you where the problem is.

Check the ohms on the ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor, usually located on the front of the water pump or driver side of the engine. I show, in my manual, that it should have 5,700-2,200 ohms when cold, 200-300 ohms when the engine is at operating temp.

Pick up a Haynes manual for more details.

Reply to
mst