1995 Grand Prix starting problems 3.1 v6

Hello, This car belongs to a friend of mine, here's what he told me it's doing... We went to get it from his daughter's when she said it wouldn't start. When it finally did start it blew out a bunch of black and some blue smoke. (the car had been sitting for a few days by the way). It ran good enough to get it to his house, after which it seemed to run perfectly fine. We went to get an aircleaner for it and when we came out of the store it wouldn't start again. He pumped the gas and it did finally start, but it ran real rough. The roughness was rhythmic, like a rev limiter on a drag car. After being revved up a few times it cleared out. (the car never did smoke again) We cleaned a bunch of black crud out of the throttle body with Gum-Out and the thing seemed to run great. This lasted about a week, now it's doing it again. The check engine light has never come on and he says you have to pump the gas pedal or it won't start at all. I did notice the exhaust tips are pretty black inside, so it may have been not running right for a while. BTW, the car has about 150,000 miles on it, the engine has been replaced with a GM "crate" motor about 25,000 miles ago. We don't know what sensors, etc. may or may not have been replaced with the new engine. Thanks! John

Reply to
croll