1995 Integra Radiator replacement

I started noticing that my car seems to be losing coolant these days, and I am seeing greenish deposits on the outside of the radiator. It looks like my radiator is leaking, and going some google-ing, broken radiators seem common enough on Integras of this age.

I found the radiators on the web for under $150.00. The dealer wants about $800 to replace the radiator, and Pep Boys wants about $600. I am inclined to try replacing this myself, this is a 10 year old car with more than 100K miles, and is my commuter car to work and back.

Is replacing the radiator pretty straight forward for this car? Can anyone point me to some books/resources where I can find out more about replacing the radiator? Am I better off just paying some mechanic to do the work? I am reasonably adept at mechanical stuff, I replaced the motor on the power windows for my 1991 Accord with out much trouble.

Any other suggestions welcome... for now, I keep a bottle of coolant/water mixture in the car, and refill the tank at home, before leaving for work (about 30 min drive), and at work, before leaving for home...

TIA,

Irax.

Reply to
Iraxl Enb

Replacing the radiator is pretty easy, as mechanic work goes. If you have a modicum of experience or ability, this should be a piece of cake.

Be sure the radiator you buy is of good quality. Replace the hoses when you replace the radiator, if it is not such a big job.

Reply to
<HLS

Here is the one that I was going to order:

Would appreciate any comments on quality/experience with this vendor...

TIA, Irax.

From the product description on the site:

This replacement radiator is just what you need to get your vehicle in working order again. All of our radiators feature these great qualities:

  • Direct replacement that is built to strict quality control specifications * Engineered for optimum heat-transfer performance and fit * 100% tested each and every time * Plastic tanks with copper core * Guaranteed OEM fit to standard and automatic transmission models

Specifications

Core Size: 13 3/4" x 26 1/4" x 1 1/4" Top header: 2" x 27" Bottom header: 2" x 27"" Inlet kneck diameter: 1 1/4" Outlet kneck diameter: 1 1/4" Rows: 2 Mount type: Pin Mount Distance between transmission oil cooler fittings: 12 13/16" Construction: Copper/Plastic

This part is built to strict quality control standards. Makes a great replacement and has substantial cost savings over a dealer unit.

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

Reply to
Iraxl Enb

Sounds okay, but I notice it has a 'limited 2-year warranty". I would check exactly what the warranty says.

Reply to
<HLS

okay, thanks for your help!

Irax.