1995 Mitsubishi Galant - Mysterious Oil Loss

Ok I got one for yall thats got me perplexed!

I have a 1995 Mitsubishi Galant with a 2.4L engine. (105,000 miles) Here is the deal, the car will randomly use oil and I mean randomly, go from ranging worse case 1-qt oil ev. 500 miles to 1-qt ev. 1000 miles. Mostly uses 1-qt or more ev. 500 miles. I am a relatively experienced shade tree mechanic. The engine does not smoke, it never has, whether it be at idle or at 4000 RPM blazing down the highway, no smoke. No smoke at start-up, and even at start-up when the cat. converter is cold, you can accelerate the engine and no smoke! The engine runs wonderfully, you could balance a nickle on the valve cover at idle, no vacuum leaks that I can tell. It also gets about 32 mpg hwy..

Here is what I have done to try and catch this random problem:

I have replaced the PCV valve twice, no change. Oh by the way, there are NO oil leaks, the engine compartment and lower compartment look like the Sahara, dry! I ran a compression test and here are the results: Cylinder #1 (190 lbs), Cylinder #2 (190 lbs), Cylinder #3 (188 lbs), Cylinder #4 (189 lbs). Compression seams pretty good for an engine with 105,000 miles on it! I am at a loss here, is there some type of valve in the engine that I am unaware of that can suck oil vapors? Also I have tried synthetic oils, (Mobil and Castrol) and conventional oils of different weight,(also Restore Engine Treatment) all give equal results, however the synthetic oil might disappear a little quicker than conventional.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am baffled!!

Thanks,

-Shane

Reply to
Shane