1995 Olds Cutlass Steering Gear Question

How do I get past the plastic or rubber seal at the firewall in order to remove the the intermediate steering shaft lower pinch bolt? I need to do this so I can separate the intermediate shaft from the steering gear.

I cannot push the seal far enough out of the way to gain access and get a wrench on the pinch bolt. Is there a trick to moving this seal in order to get access to the pinch bolt? Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
KC

You may find 7mm head screws holding the plastic boot to the firewall around it's perimeter. Lift the carpet and look for these screws. I don't have an exact answer but that is a common design.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Usually, you can just reach up and rotate the plastic boot while pushing up on it. If that doesn't work, I sometimes use a long pry bar to push the plastic out of the way while I get a socket and long extension on the bolt head.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks for the help. The job I am performing has the task labeled as "reposition seal", which made me think I was missing some simple way of moving it out of the way.

shiden_kai wrote:

Reply to
KC