1995 voyager hard start, dies on accel

Hi all,

Hopefully the collective can help here.

1994 Plymouth voyager, 3.0L V6

I have a 1994 Plymouth voyager which has been running okay. I put brakes on it yesterday and after letting it down off of the jack, I notice extremely hard starting. Cranks but no fire. Actually it cranks and after i release the key it would sputter a bit and die. Eventually it starts and runs but it chokes and dies if I give it too much gas. After driving it around the block a few times it eventually dies and is very hard to restart. Once started, any amount of throttle kills it.

I managed to limp it to the Goodyear service center and had them look at it this morning. They just called and told me to take it to the dealer because they can't figure out what's wrong with it.

I can hear the fuel pump running but it's pretty loud. Goodyear says that Fuel pressure is okay but this surely sounds like a fuel starvation problem to me.

The specific symptoms are : Very hard to start (but cranks strong so the battery is okay). Once started, almost any amount of throttle will kill the engine. Note that at first it was just large applications of throttle that cause problems but as the minutes went by it got worse and worse until any application of throttle was enough to kill it. It will idle, but barely. It also smokes but it's grey smoke and the car does burn oil.

Thanks in advance. I really don't want to spend the money to have the dealer look at this old thing.

Reply to
jelliott25