1996 Blazer alternator replacement....PLEASE HELP

1996 Blazer 4.3L 4WD I had the alternator tested and found out it was bad. The mechanic quoted me $275 to replace it. I called the local parts store and I can get a new one for $100. Here is my question, How difficult is it to replace this thing? Should I attempt to do this on my own? I consider myself pretty handy, I do all the brake work, oil changes and simple tune ups but I am a little scared of the electrical system. Is this a simple fix or is it better to just pay the mechanic $175 for labor? Thanks in advance!
Reply to
Chris H

Shouldn't be a big deal. First remove neg battery cable. Remove belt (should be a spring loaded idler you can put a breaker bar in a square hole to add leverage). There is probably a plug you have to unplug from the alternator. Remove large wire from back of alternator. Remove alternator.

Should be pretty straight forward. You can remove bolts from the alternator after removing the belt if you cannot get to the large wire or the plug (there may not be a plug, but my 96 chev pickup has one). Just be sure to remove the neg battery cable firs and then the belt.

Take a look at where everyth>

Reply to
bobby

Reply to
Dave Shepherd

Thanks guys! I tor it apart last nite. It was just 3 bolts and a terminal and the thing came right off. The pully wheel on my replace matched so I didn't need to take it off. Took me longer to get my tools out than it did to replace this thing!! I can't believe the mechanic wanted almost $200 for labor!

Thanks again guys!

Reply to
Chris H

How do you know that the mechanic was quoting the job using the same cheapo $100 alternator you bought?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

The breakdown would probably have been something like one hour labor and about $200 for the alternator.. so $275 is about right..

I checked on autozone.com for the alternator.. anywhere from $100 to $150 for that vehicle. About the best thing I could say about that $100 alternator is that it'll be replaced for free when it dies again..

The mechanic shop will put a markup on the price of the parts.

For me, one hour labor would include charging the battery, checking alternator output and measuring voltage drops; in short, checking out the entire charging system. Not just slapping the alternator on and calling it good.

You did do all that, right?

Wait till you need a fuel pump for that beastie.. $300 just for parts.

regards,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

you did good. I have a 95 and have lots of the same issues and do lots myself. If you do your own brakes (and why not) the alternator should have been a cinch. Mechanics have to eat too but just think, you kept the parts guy employed and the suppliers for the refurbed parts. I bet the alternator you got was an identical replacement and I think you said lifetime garantee (keep your receipt). The fuel regulator and EGR unit should probably be on your list one of these days but like one guy here said....chaaa ching! 100 and 300 dollar items and a little more involved. Safety also becomes an issue just like in doing your own brakes.

Jim wrote:

Reply to
ed