1996 Ford Contour - WAYS A MAF SENSOR CAN BECOME DIRTY?

I mentioned this on the Contour Enthusiasts Group

last fall and they responded in horror: "If your mass airflow sensor is getting dirty you've got MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJOR problems". And, "I'd say 86 that '96!"

I had some cold hard starting issues the last couple days so I brought it to my regular mechanic, who found the MAF to be dirty and cleaned it. Both of my O2 sensors are less than a year old and showed good voltages.

My mechanic said that the cat.converter might be getting clogged, which is "kicking back" unburned residual fumes through the air system to the MAF. The car is 75,000 miles and not burning oil. Air Filter replaced 3,000 miles ago, in February. I never have these problems in heavy downtown traffic, only after long out-of-state highway trips on cruise control, 65-70mph.

Any general ideas on MAFs - can they get dirty?, should they get dirty?

Thanks,

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

They can get dirty - they do get dirty (if you are not using a good air filter), and when they do, they are very hard to clean. Best to use a very good air filter in a MAF Ford. If this continues to trouble you, new ones are available, (I put in an aftermarket 75mm job, works great)

-cost about $200 new.

Your cats are probably failing (mine did) - ford recalled these for the

2.5L , and did not publicize it well. But with 75K, you should get in quick - warantee is to 80K. As you state, this will get dirt into your MAF - maybe consider re-routing the exhaust air behind the MAF - several aftermarket intake kits do this.

Andrew

ChrisCoaster wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Paule

Reply to
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

Do you have a four or six cylinder? I your 'cat goes you have a big problem. Bob

Reply to
PROCOBOB

________________

2.0l 4.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

______________________ Right on Andrew - Thanks! For being a good student you get a Matt Kenseth sticker for your school folder. >Jeeeez!<

Anyhow, they said it was pretty clogged up and time to go. The new cat be in next week and so will my car.

Take care, and I'll update after the service.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster