1996 Lumina - heat/air blower problem

I have a 1996 3.1L and it's having problems with the heat/air blower. When I dial it to blow through the front vents (that face the driver), it will blow through the defrost vents for about 10 minutes and then will (off and on) switch over to the driver vents. There also seems to be quite a load on the engine (I had a new compressor put in about 2 yrs ago, and that's about the same time that this began. Any ideas about what might be causing this?

Thanks Lou

Reply to
ll

Sounds like a really bad vacuum leak, somewhere.

Reply to
« Paul »

I only have a general suggestion, but look at the firewall area near the heater hoses and A/C lines for a vacuum tee. Also look on the intake manifold and near/around the vacuum brake booster Check any such vacuum tees and lines you see for cracks and deterioration. Follow any vacuum lines that appear to go either to the fenderwell area and disappear, or to a plastic vacuum storage tank mounted in the engine compartment. If you find such a storage tank, check it for cracks also.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Thanks guys for the suggestions - I'll be sure to check these areas.

-Lou

Reply to
ll