1996 Mazda 626 2.0 CD4E Transmission failure - need help

Right off, I'm well aware of the weakness of the CD4E trans but I picked this car up cheap enough that I'm prepared to install a rebuild if needed. Before I spend the big bucks I would like to confirm the worst - here's what I know:

  1. Car will not move in any gear and there is no feeling of it going into gear but the gear selection control on the trans does move.
  2. I was told (but can't confirm) that there was no indication of the trans failing (OD light flashing,slipping,hard shifts).
  3. The Trans fluid is very high when checked idling in park (I think this could mean the pump isn't working). The fluid is a little darker than normal but smells like regular Mercon.
  4. I found these trouble codes stored: a. PO500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction b. P1506 - Idle Air Control Overspeed - The engine was idling high - I cleaned the IAC, idle is now normal and no more code. c. P1744 - Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit Performance.

Can someone tell me the best way to proceed from here? My '91 626 had the same problem and it was stripped out splines in the torque converter.

Thanks for your time Larry

Reply to
Larry Webb