1996 Sebring (or Dodge equivalent) 2.0 DOHC timing belt replacement difficulty

I am replacing the timing belt, idler pulleys and water pump in my 96 Sebring coupe with the 2.0 DOHC engine. Has anyone had firsthand experience doing this job? There does not seem to be any way to remove the engine motor mount which attaches to the block with 3 bolts because there isn't enough room between the timing cover and and fenderwell. I got those 3 bolts completely loosened but can't get them out !

Is there a trick to doing this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

Reply to
septicman

On other front drive cars, I have had to use a crowbar and blocks of wood to pry the motor to the right so I could do whatever.

They usually move about an inch. Sometimes I have had to jack up the engine to get clearance too.

Dick Cheney

Please post back with the answer when you find out. My son's Stratus is due for a belt soon.

Reply to
Paul

Field repairable? What does that mean?

Most of us on here have faced similar idiocies. I have long been of the opinion that the engineers who design these things, and the bean counters who tell them that they have to use somebody else's engine no matter what it takes to shoe-horn it into the engine well, should be required to field-strip and reassemble a pre-production car using normal home garage tools. And if they can't do it, they should be fired.

Reply to
aemeijers

jack the engine up. there will be enough room

Reply to
jfran