1996 Subaru Timing Belt

I have a '96 Subaru with the 2.2L engine that will not stay in time for more than a few minutes.

This started with a timing set replacement due to a catastrophic failure of one of the pulleys.

It seems now that the belt is slipping on the crankshaft pulley as best as I can tell. I say this because it seems that the cam shafts are still timed together, but the crankshaft pulley is in the wrong position.

I set it all up to spec, reassemble, and then test run the car. all is good for about 5 minutes, then a sudden loss of power and I find that the belt has jumped again. This has happened to me twice now. I do not think that this will happen at idle or if I throttle up with no load on the engine, but I just haven't reset it and re-tested enough times to be sure.

The tensioner seems to be OK. It takes a lot of pressure to collapse it again and the spring does drive forward into the tensioner pulley as it should.

Is there some step that I'm missing here?

TIA

Reply to
TomO

I would take a look at the belt and the belt sprockets for wear. In my experience once a cogged belt "slips" once it should be replaced.

Reply to
golden oldie

Is the belt slipping OR is the key in the pulley sheared and that is allowing the pulley to slip? Also look at the cogs and the belt. They may not match up.

Reply to
Steve W.

The new timing set included a new belt and four cogged pulleys (including the tensioner pulley).

Or are you saying that the new belt was destroyed minutes after the initial installation?

Reply to
TomO

I thought about the possibility of the crankshaft pulley slipping, both times I reset the timing, I used the mark on that same pulley and she fired right up. So I'm assuming that the belt is slipping on that one.

The belt cogs seem to fit nicely into all their associated spots.

I'm torn between buying a new tensioner and buying a new crankshaft pulley. (That one did not come with the timing set). Maybe I need both.

Reply to
TomO

Put a mark on the pulley and the crankshaft. Run it till the timing goes out. Check to see that the marks still align.

Reply to
Calab

Hi Tom

I think I know how you can tell if the belt is skipping. I would assemble everything with another new timing belt. Maybe the new one you bought is no good. Put the new belt on and mark one of the teeth with white out or paint. Make another mark on the corresponding tooth of the cam pulley. Run it. If problem is solved you know the belt was the issue. If it skips you will certainly know because the belt mark and pulley mark wont line up. You will know that the problem then lies in the tensioner or pulleys. Hopefully this will give you somemore info to solve the problem.

Reply to
conan