1997 Jeep Wrangler-- Gauges don't work.

Hi,

I'm posting for a friend without a computer. He's got a jeep and the gauges and radio suddenly stopped working. He still has headlights, tailights, and the dome light, but when driving he can't tell his speed, fuel, or anything else. We checked and replaced the regular fuses and the big ones under the hood. Any ideas? Anyone encounter this before?

-J, Guy who lends his Crown Vic out now. :(

Are the 'gauges' not working or the dash lights?

There is a defect in the TJ's where they have a mis-matched harness plug and dashboard bus circuit. (just a guess, but it seems like a metric to standard screwup) The pins are too small for the plug and commonly come loose so the gauges go out. 'Usually' the air bag light comes on at the same time though...

Jeep does have a replacement plug available, but it is part of the harness so is likely expensive. What most do for this is to remove the dash panel and put a slight twist in the pins on the plug so they grab into the socket again.

Here is a mirror link to the instructions:

There are also two grounds on the dash circuit board that are under recall for 99 anyway. If the one on the left side is loose, the gauges will fail when the headlights come on. If the right side one is loose, the defroster blower might not work. Here is the recall number:

99V117000

Mike

Mike Romain

instructions:

Did you get the dash circuit board out enough to ID the circuit board's buss plugs? That is the only fix I know about.

There are some other computer related ground tags out on the side of the engine near the dipstick.

Could there be a common fuse between the radio and dash lights? Is it an aftermarket radio?

You might want to post this over on the Jeep group to see if others have more ideas. The group is rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys.

Mike

J wrote:

instructions:

Mike Romain