1997 Mazda Protege: thermostat replacement: $117?

Howdy,

I took our '97 Mazda Protege in, it was getting too hot when the A/C was on. The shop I took it to (an independent, Mazda-only, mechanic shop) pressure-tested the coolant system (no leaks), checked the two fans' operation, and coolant level (I checked the coolant level before I took it in and it was fine). After finding nothing wrong with any of the above, they pulled the thermostat and used a heat gun to test it's behaviour (does it open at the right temp).

They said the thermostat's behaviour was erratic, and replaced the thermostat and the thermostat gasket. Repair bill total was $117. Thermostat + gasket was around $10, the rest was labor.

Now, I have never replaced a thermostat in the Protege, but I have in about every other car I have owned, and it has always been an easy repair, both ability-wise and time-wise. It is usually the first thing I try when I notice a cooling problem because it is cheap and easy to do. This time, I didn't because I don't have the time to do it right now.

My questions are basically this: is this thermostat harder to get to that most others, taking more time? And, is $117 too much for the work described above? I forget their hourly rate, but I think it is between $50-$60/hour, so I was charged for somewhere between an hour and two hours labor.

The problem is gone now, so that's all it was. I am just wondering if I should use this shop again should I need to take the Protege in sometime in the future for whatever, or if they are unreasonable in cost. I chose them based on the recommendation of two people who said they did good work and were honest and reliable. I have no qualms about their server; they were timely and got the job done when they said they would, and of course that is worth something in and of itself.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
Scott Fuhrman

Yes they did the diagnosis I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Scott

Reply to
Sc0tt

Yep. And you paid them to do all the diagnosis you mention in the first paragraph.

Or was that for free?

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

They got it right the first time and were finished when they promised. Would I use the shop again? Absolutely, and I'd tell all my friends, too.

Reply to
kgold

Here's mine: You got robbed, just as sure as if somebody walked up to you and stuck a gun in your face.

Ten bucks for a thermostat isn't *insanely* high, but it is pretty damn pricey. As for the labor, a thermostat change on damn near any vehicle shouldn't take much more than 10 minutes, if that. Two (possibly three, depending on the car) bolts out, pull old unit, insert new, two (or three) bolts in, top up coolant if any leaked (it might, or it might not) and game over.

Somebody's grinning from ear to ear all the way to the bank. And they're carrying money you should have kept in your wallet.

Reply to
Don Bruder

I don't know the price on a Protoge's thermostat, but on the GM LS1 engine, it's a whole assembly that's $50! (Don't ask me why, I'm sure there's a reason...)

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Considering they are a MAZDA ONLY shop,I am sure they arent useing the local bargain mart selling no-name brands.Probly OEM,Beck-Arnley,Bosch(you get the picture). Book time for your car is 1.2hrs for the t-stat change.So-- they diagnosed and repaired your car correctly the first time,used a quality part(BTW a Beck-Arnley t-stat goes for around $23,more probly if OEM was used)and you stated they charge 50-60 bux an hr for labor,add the tax and I would say thats about the right price. So no,you did not get ripped off.If you think you did,bring your car to a chain store(Pep Boys,STS,etc)for your next repair and then you will really see how fortunate you are to have found that independant shop.

WOODY

Reply to
Woody

Reply to
The Bathtub Admiral

I think you were treated fairly. Espically considering all the diagnostic work they did to replace the correct part. Those people say that they can replace a thermostat in 2 or even 10 minutes are giving you a bunch of BS. It takes more than 2 minutes just to drain the antifreeze. Plus testing the thermostat takes longer than that (I usually boil them).

Reply to
Childfree Scott

I agree with the posters who say that the shop did all the right things and charged a fair price. The shop did not just 'change the thermostat' they did a full diagnostic of the cooling system - and that is very, very important in modern cars - perhaps even more important then the actual 'work' of changing the t-stat. You got good recommendations for that shop for good reason (IMO).

Reply to
gbravy

This time when you get your new invoice, instead of a high labour/parts ratio, you might have the reverse as the parts changer (aka mechanic) will gladly pull out the ol' shotgun diagnostic procedure. If your lucky the t-stat is 1st on his list, if your not, it may be behind the cooling fan, radiator, all hoses and clamps, head gasket, water pump, heater core etc., he would make you very familiar with the courtesy car if provided. Excellent reply!!

There are certain 'chains' where nobody ever has good brakes; everybody always needs an entire new brake system...

As other posters have said, the shop in question did a fine job at a fair price; the OP got good advice when he was directed to this shop, IMHO.

Reply to
gbravy

Mazda in their infinite wisdom, puts the therm in a odd location inline and below the waterpump, not like the therm on 'regular' cars. It's a bitch to get at.

Pete

Reply to
pete selby

I take it you've done a heater core on an F-150? :-) Side note, love the way it drives with the 5.4L, but taking apart the dash to get to stuff near the firewall takes forever. (Or maybe the day just drifted away on its own.)

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

Nope, no heater core, but I do indeed get the drift! (Closest to a heater core I've done on a Ford was an engine swap in an Explorer - Gawd what a friggin' nightmare...)

Although, continuing with the heater core concept, if I were a betting man, I'd bet that I could swap the one in my Mazda in less than half a day. 6 easily reached screws hold what I call (for lack of a better term) the "kickplate" and glovebox in the dash. Once those 6 screws are gone, (a 15 minute operation if you're *REALLY* taking your time) the entire glovebox and the "kickplate" below it come out as a unit, leaving this positively *GAPING* crater in the dashboard on the passenger side. In that hole, the heater core (and the A/C "core" right next to it) is sitting in plain sight, just *BEGGING* to be wrenched on. The blower unit is a bit further to the right, but it's just as easy to get to once the glovebox/"kickplate" is out of the way.

Reply to
Don Bruder