1998 BMW 740i 4.4L

I don't know why I haven't been able to find the answer to this question in my web searches.

What is the cylinder numbering scheme for a 1998 BWM 4.4L in a 740i (e38)?

This car has been setting a misfire code for #3. I swapped the two center ignition coils on the starboard side and the problem moved to #2. The question is: is #1 against the firewall or towards the front of the car?

How about the port side ( drivers side on a US vehicle ) Is #5 or #8 against the firewall?

Thanks!

Reply to
TomO

big picture, why do you care? you're not plugging leads into a distributor cap with the risk of getting their order mixed. and by moving a coil from one plug to another, you've confirmed the one that is defective. simply replace it and you can remain in ignorance about plug numbers forever.

Reply to
jim beam

Start here:

Right front is #1.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

I'm still in the state of wondering which is the bad one. Yes, I swapped #2 and #3, but is the one closer to the firewall now the good one or the bad one?

Reply to
TomO

Thank you sir. That's exactly what I needed - and a handy website too.

Reply to
TomO

buy one new coil. you have a 50% chance of getting it right first time, and 100% on the second.

Reply to
jim beam

True. The new coil is ordered. I was just trying to increase my chances of one-timing the swap. I will replace the one that is second back from the front of the car on the starboard side.

The way my luck goes, if I have a 50% chance of getting it right, I have an 80% chance of getting it wrong. At least it's a simple part to swap.

Reply to
Tom Owens