1998 Camry failed emission test - do I need these parts?

My 1998 Camry failed emission testing by the NJ MVA. The codes that came up were P0171, P1130, P0441 and P0446.

The shop I went to says I need a new oxygen sensor assembly kit and a new emissions system purge value assembly. Cost of these $262 and 114 + labor (3 hrs).

Does this seem right? What is a reasonable cost for this in central NJ? The cost of these parts online seems to be much less, unless I am missing something.

thanks Mark Sabatini

Reply to
msabatini2001

you've been driving around with the check engine light on for some time. that is not smart and potentially very expensive since the computer has to ignore sensor inputs and default to injector values that can damage the catalytic converter.

you can buy and replace the sensors yourself. and before you replace the purge valve [p0441], try replacing the gas cap.

you'll need an obdII code reader to clear the codes. do so, and see which ones come back. again, you should NOT drive around with the check engine light on. way cheaper to buy a code reader and fix the problem.

Reply to
jim beam

Could be.

You get what you pay for when you buy parts for the most part. You can buy dealer parts, you can buy cheap knockoff parts off Ebay. Sometimes you do fine with generic O2 sensors, sometimes you don't.

Whether this will fix the problem or not you don't know until you drive the car for a while and see if the computer sets new codes. The codes don't tell you what it wrong, they only tell you what the symptoms are.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey