1998 Ford Tarus blower motor not coming on. (Please help)

This summer my brother in laws Tarus air conditioner quit. To make a long story short after checking just about everything, I found a relay in the engine compartment was bad. It looked like the relay had some burn markings on one of the terminals. He replaced the relay and it worked for about a few weeks. Also at this time the air only worked don high so he drove around constantly with the air on high. (I am sure this was probably due to the blower motor resistor.).

Anyway now it does not work again. I replaced the relay and still nothing. I have no voltage to the harness that plugs into the blower motor. I took the blower motor out and connected it to a batters. When I touched the wires at the batter it sparked pretty bright and started spinning. So I assume the blower motor is ok.

There is no voltage at the harness that plugs into the resistor. There is not voltage to any of the four wires going to the fan control switch. (I am not sure if there is supposed ot be or not?)

One thing I noticed is when I was origionally checking around with a tester, where this relay pluged into the power distribution panel, I origionally had voltage on two of the places the relay plugs in, now I only have one.

I dont have anything that explains what the fuses and relays go to, but I believe I tested everythign in the fuse panel and it was ok.

What can I do to figure this out, he has no heat and just got layed off so I am trying to help him and his young son.

Can anyone explain to me what the wires to the relay go to and where I can go from here?

Reply to
stryped

I went to the Autozone site to see if they had any schematics that would help on this, but did not find any.

If you live near a reasonably large town, there should be a library which might have service manuals that would cover this.

It is hard, though not totally impossible, to trace some of that wiring back to source without a diagram. Sounds like you have a burned out fuse link, broken wire, bad connection or something of that sort. Fuse links, of course, dont look as much like fuses as they do pieces of wire, and could be overlooked.

Sorry, but I can only suggest the library.

Reply to
HLS