1998 Lincoln passive (coil spring) strut replacement

Me again. Another brother problem. ( remember the 95 f-150 with shifting problems.?) He likes Fords. He has a 1998 Lincoln Continental with a broken spring in the front strut. We got another, but can't get the strut out. 3 bolts on top are off. Pinch bolt is out and strut moves up and down in pinch bore. Brake hose is off strut. Axle nut is off, and axle slides in and out of hub. Got the sway bar link off. Do I need to remove the lower ball joint? An online conversion site doesn't seem to think so. I think they're nuts. Maybe compress the spring, but I don't think it will help much. Can't seem to find a book locally for this car.

Reply to
Steve Walker