1998 Mazda Protoge- RPM drop really low during idle

Recently, my Protoge will go almost dead when I am sitting in idle. The RPM's stay right under 1000, but then will drop to about 200, then go almost dead. Sometimes, the battery and check engine light will flicker as it is about to die. We recently had it serviced and all the mechanic could find was the air compressor was broken and i needed new transmission fluid. Could it be a problem with a fuel filter? Please help! Thank you!

Reply to
tara22

So is the air compressor still broken? Is the low idle what you took it in for originally or is it running like this only after you got it back? I'd think a siezed component like the compressor would bring the whole engine to a screaching halt or close to it since the engine has to try and turn the siezed item, but if it came back and is now like this from being serviced then the guy must have left a vacuum hose off somewhere.

You might want to tell these guys what the mileage is, and when the last time the filter was changed that you know of.

Reply to
ed