1998 Park Ave. ticking when accelerating

I have a 98 Park Ave with 128k on the motor. It seems to run fine but at times the acceleration is weak.

- When I start it in the morning it starts great but it makes a slight noise and sounds a little loud (like exhaust?).

- It makes a ticking noise on the driver side while accelerating. Not terribly loud but it gets louder the more I accelerate. It also sounds like it's sucking air. Any help would be great.

Reply to
criii

Sounds like a miss or perhaps is an exhaust manifold leak!

Reply to
Backbone

Check for an exhaust manifold leak.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Hey everyone,

I just got the car back from the shop...

  1. There was a sticky lifter... they did an induction and let it sit overnight to clear out carbon deposits and what not. It helped performance wise but there is still a slight ticking. Only when I accelerate and more when the car is cold

  1. They also said there is an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold. I will need to get a new one. Does anyone think the exhaust leak could still be causing the ticking.

Thanks

Reply to
criii

Most definitely a leak at the exhaust manifold could cause a ticking sound. I've seen cars with a hole in the manifold as well as a leak at the gasket caused by a loosened bolt.

Reply to
John S.

Absolutely. a small exhaust leak close to the heads can drive you nuts because the sound can exactly mimic the sound of a valvetrain tick.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I just purchased an exhaust manifold online for about $72 including shipping. My guy a the dealer said he could have it installed for about $50. That should hopefully take care of all the problems. Everything else works great. So fart I've dropped about $200 into it and I bought it for $4200. I'll let everyone know if it's better after the install of the new exhaust manifold

Reply to
criii

============== ==============

2 things............

Where did you find "an exhaust manifold online for about $72 including shipping" ???

and........

My guy at the dealer would laugh my ass out the shop if I even suggested it "could" be installed "for about $50"! (fact, not fiction)

so........ you got yerself a used car lot tech working on this thing?

if so... be advised........ they are NOT considered dealer techs. :)

and......... you get what you pay for, so be prewarned.

respectfully submitted for thought,

~:~ MarshMonster ~takes a hit off his dooby......gotta go fix that broken manifold bolt now~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

That ain't new.....not for $72.00 You should check it over thoroughly to make sure it too doesn't have a hole and isn't warped.

Reply to
John S.

I hope your just replacing the gasket and not the entire exhaust manifold!?

Reply to
Backbone

YES! and if you end up R/Ring the manifold gasket, you might take a good look at what might have caused the leak! A loose nut or broken stud or bolt is the most common! An oil leak that dripped onto or around the exhaust manifold might burn the gasket causing the gasket to leak or there might be another issue. Perhaps an internal issue! Gaskets don't usually leak unless something or someone loosened or disturbed it!!

Reply to
Backbone