1998 Voyager Oil Light & Temp. Gauge

1998 Voyager, 3.0L engine, 4speed auto, 83,000 miles, regularly serviced: Experienced very mysterious set of circumstances this past Sunday, 2/19/06 (the coldest day yet this winter in Philadelphia, about 25 deg F). I drove about 14 miles, hiway speeds, before I noticed that the temperature gauge was not registering any engine temperature. Shortly there after (and I don't remember whether it was immediately or some few minutes later), the Oil Pressure Light came on and the alarm chime started sounding. Since I was at my destination, I parked and let the car cool down about 1/2 hour. I checked the oil level... oil was full. I re-started the car, and within about 10 seconds, the light and chime came on again. I had AAA flatbed the car to my regular garage, didn't want to chance blowing the engine. It wasn't until the next day that my mechanic checked things over... he could NOT replicate the symptoms! Everything worked fine for the mechanic. He even hooked up a real oil pressure gauge and found no flaws in the pressure. Also, the engine warmed up just fine, and the temperature gauge reflected that fact. He wiggled all the wires, and checked visible connections, but could not replicate either symptom. My fear is that the car has a "cry wolf" problem: if it happens again, when there might be a real mechanical issue, and I ignore it, the result could be a real big repair bill. Any ideas??
Reply to
kit

It is probably an electrical intermittent. I chased a flickering oil light (or was it the gauge) in my 92 voyager 3.0, 3sp for a year or more before finding a chaffed wire in the oil pressure switch circuit where it passed near the front engine mount.

If you are warned about oil, but suspect it is a false alarm, and you have checked the dip stick, then you can always remove the oil fill cap with the engine idling and verify that oil is splashing off the cam shaft and rockers. That would verify that the pump is running.

If you also have an oil gauge, note that, if I recall correctly, the oil sender is a single unit with separate elements for the gauge and light. One can work without the other working.

Reply to
Ned Forrester

Thanks, Ned. I also suspect an electrical fault, given the weird behavior of the Temperture Gauge... but could it be something else? BTW, this car does not have an Oil Gauge, just the light, and that irritating chime.

Reply to
kit

Since the oil pressure was checked with an mechanical gauge, I believe that you can safely rule out the oil pump.

An intermittent ignition switch could also cause the problems that you are seeing.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Kirk, Could you be more specific... how can an ignition switch be intermittent? There was never any variation or roughness in the engine operation, which is what I would expect from an intermittent ignition, yet the Temperature Gauge stayed at "C" during the entire trip, while the Oil Light came on after about 15 minutes driving. There was never any change in the sound or power of the engine, and no loss of oil. Thanks, Kit

Reply to
kit

Kirk, Could you be more specific... how can an ignition switch be intermittent? There was never any variation or roughness in the engine operation, which is what I would expect from an intermittent ignition, yet the Temperature Gauge stayed at "C" during the entire trip, while the Oil Light came on after about 15 minutes driving. There was never any change in the sound or power of the engine, and no loss of oil. Thanks, Kit

Reply to
kit

Reply to
philthy