1999 Suburban Coolant Leak

Hi everyone,

99 Suburban with 350/FI and 127K miles. Noticed a small oscillation in the temperature gauge about 2 mo ago, then one episode of spontaneous temps 220+ with loss of coolant. Now I have developed an external leak that appears to originate at the front of the passenger cylinder head-to-block interface. No CELs lit. No white smoke in exhaust, engine runs fine.

Any method of confirming this is the problem before comencing to pull the cylinder head? Is this a common problem during these model years with higher mileage?

Thanks for your time,

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I'd be very surprised if it's the cylinder head gasket. The intake manifold gaskets are what is the common failure on these engines.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Most likely it is the intake manifold gasket and not the head gasket. Expect to see some slight surface damage to the intake manifold/head casting where the leak was occurring. You can use black RTV to fill in the rough spots when you install the new gaskets. It's not a terribly hard job to do on this vehicle.

Chris

Reply to
Hal