2.8l 60 degree V6 Cam wear diagnosis ??

I've got a GM 2.8l 60 degree V6 out of an 1988 Cavlier. Its got about 320k kilometers (200k miles) on it. When I pulled the cam out I noticed that some of the lobes were worn round. I have not measured each lobe but by visiual inspection it appears that there may be a pattern. The lobes are worn most on the timing chain side - moving away from the timing chain side the wear decreases, until at the other end there is no wear.

My first thought was worn cam bushings at the timing chain end doing something weird to the cam, but I couldn't figure out how that would cause this type of wear since the cams simply work against the lifters. Then I thought perhaps there is something in the way the oil flows in these engines that may lead to more wear at the timing chain end over time.

Another reason might have been a coolant leak at this end of the enigine with coolant getting on the worn lobes ???

Any ideas ?

As a side question, can anyone recommend a good modern source of info for using gaskets and sealers when I rebuild ?

Thanks, Bep

Reply to
bep

You can find a ton of information about that engine series by searching the internet.

There are special gaskets available now which are designed to stop leakage problems.

If, after you rebuild it, it lasts another 320,000 km, you should be pretty satisfied.

Reply to
Larry Smith

Gaskets that stop leakage problems?! Now I've heard of everything!!!

Reply to
Bruce Chang

200k miles on a GM flat tappet camshaft? That's a miracle from up high, I tell ya!

Lobe wear is normal, particularly on the 2.8 motors which aren't known for their oiling system being all that robust. Put new cam bearings in it, and I'd replace the rod bearings as a preventative measure. But 200k miles is a lot of miles, I wonder if it would be better to just overhaul the motor? Do a .030 over on the cylinders with new pistons, new bearings, cam and lifters of course, and a head rebuild, and you should get another 200k miles out of it.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

Why the jump to.030 over? Why not .010 or .020?

Reply to
pete selby

The actual oversize would be dependant on measuring the current wear of course, but it's an extremely high mileage motor, the chances of a ten or twenty over being sufficient is unlikely.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan