2 condensers = great a/c cooling?

I have an 89 f-150 that I retrofitted to 134-a. I am always wanting to play around with stuff and I wondered what whould happen if a person installed 2 condensers in a vehicle? Maybe the factory one feeding a smaller one? I am not happy with 134-a in my current situation and even adding an electric fan has not helped.

Would this lower my pressures and increase my cooling capacity?

Reply to
Don

|I have an 89 f-150 that I retrofitted to 134-a. I am always wanting to |play around with stuff and I wondered what whould happen if a person |installed 2 condensers in a vehicle? Maybe the factory one feeding a |smaller one? I am not happy with 134-a in my current situation and |even adding an electric fan has not helped. | |Would this lower my pressures and increase my cooling capacity?

Best thing you can do is get some ICE-32. I added it in 5 minutes to my '94 F150 and the temp immediately dropped 9 degrees. Has to be experienced to be believed. They also make a R22 variant, which I intend to add to my home heat pump unit.

Beyond that, convert it back to R12. You can still buy it. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

AKA "Propane", last I heard... (Granted, that may have changed since the last time I was paying attention)

Just pray that you don't get in a wreck that breaks open the A/C system, or you might find yourself sitting in the middle of a literal fireball.

Reply to
Don Bruder

You can preview how well it'll work by using a garden hose to run water over the existing condenser.. the water increases the heat transfer. Yes, it should lower your high side pressure.

My question is what was done to retrofit the system to 134a, what are your temps/pressures currently, and what are you hoping for?

regards,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I flushed everything put in a new dryer, orface tube, condenser and remanufactured compressor.

I think my refrigerent has leaked out. I would like very good cooling even at idle. Before at idle it would not cool hardly at all. When at home last year I put a hose to the condenser and it started cooling better.

What would be the best way to add another condensor as far as plumbing it?

Would it be too much for my compressor to pump?

Reply to
Don

Adding a second condenser would lower head pressure and make it easier on your compressor.

You are asking too much for a retro-fitted r-12 system to cool well with r-134 at idle. An f-150 already has a huge condenser and huge cooling fan.

I say your best bet would be to install a crossflow condenser and figure out where you're leaking from. Make absolutely sure you aren't overcharging. And be happy with good cruising cooling. I don't think you'll ever get good cooling out of r-134a at idle. I don't even in my r-134a systems.

As for the propane and butane mix. It's an added risk, but it does work nicely and you don't have to worry about bad things happening from mixing refrigerant, refrigerant not carrying the oil, or a small amount of moisture in the system even. But it still runs at higher pressures than r-12 (especially when it gets really hot out) so you won't get good cooling at idle.

If you want 'better' cooling at idle, research a smart VOV. When you changed your o-tube, did you change it to an r-134 o-tube?

Something else I've considered at one time or another. You can rig up a windshield washer reservoir and pump to spray water on your condenser while you are sitting still. I was thinking of adding a complete washer system out of any car, complete with pump hose and nozzles. That way you can still keep your windshield washer for your windshield.

But I found I can put up with less-than-perfect cooling at idle. I just run it on max if it's not cooling enough.

Reply to
Clem