2000 Chrystler Town & Country and Heat/Air controls?

We recently purchased a 2000 Chrystler Town & Country mini-van (power windows, locks, etc)... everything worked great for a few months...then one day we got in the van, turned on the air, and nothing happened. It seems that out of the different levels of air that the fan can blow out, it will ONLY come on when it is on high. This is for heat OR AC. (rear heat and ac controls seem to be functioning as normal). But if you turn the front heat or ac down below high fan, even all the lights on the dash (the one button you press for AC to make the AC colder and the one for re-curculating the air inside) both go off as if the heat/air aren't even on.

I know very little about cars, but can't afford to have this looked at by a shop right now...money is really tight at the moment...but I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be something as simple as a fuse or something that I could at least look for or point me in the right direction. I would appreciate any advice or help that someone could give me.

Someone I know suggested it could be a bad relay...is that something like a fuse or something that may be simple to replace? Or is it something that may be electrical? Again, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Reply to
Harold Weaver

I have a 1999 T&C with the exact same problem. I haven't had much opportunity to check into it further, but I was thinking it might be a bad fusable link. If you figure it out, please post your findings and I'll do the same.

Thanks

Reply to
King of Harts

I tried the calibration as well with the same results you decribed above. I dropped by the dealer this morning and ordered a resistor block for the blower (cost: $15). Based on what has been shared on this NG as well as other research I've done, I believe this may be the answer.

Reply to
King of Harts

Harold,

I just replaced the resister block in my van and the blower works fine now at all speeds. The resistor block is located on the firewall on the passerger side right next to the strut housing. It is a very tight fit and if you have large hands it might be difficult to get the old one out. I ended up removing the nut from the bracket that holds the A/C hose just so I could have some wiggle room. Other than that, it is a very easy process. Pick up the part first from the dealer so you can see what you're dealing with first.

Good luck!

Patrick

Reply to
King of Harts

You access it from under the hood. The resistor block is located on the firewall (passenger side) next to/behind the strut housing. It's kind of hard to get your hand in there, but it will come out. If you get the part first you can see how it locks in place which will help you in disconnecting the old one.

Good luck.

Patrick

Reply to
King of Harts