2000 Hyundai Tiburon Axle Problem

I have 2000 Tiburon with a loose passenger wheel. I wiggles from side to side.

Does anyone know how to take the front axle off and check the bearing and/or the axle? Maybe a website with instructions on removal replacement? I am not sure if the bearing needs pressed on if I replace it or not.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

If the movement is side to side it is most likely an inner or possibly outter tie rod gone bad.

Jack the car up & support it with jack stands. Have a friend shake the wheel side to side while you get under & try to feel which part is causing the movement.

If it's the inner tie rod, you need a special tool to remove it & install the new one. Best left to a shop for this one.

If it's the outter tie rod slightly loosen the jamb nut attaching it to the inner tie rod. Remove the nut on the stud at the steering knuckle, unscrew the tie rod off the inner tie rod. Installation is the reverse of above. Now go get an alignment!!!

Reply to
Imknotright

Perhaps you should start from the beginning.

Have you checked to see if the steering wheel is moving when you waggle the road wheel? Can you rotate the steering wheel and not have the road wheel move at all?

1) Check the lug nuts for tightness. Do this with the road wheel OFF the ground. 2) Also with the road wheel OFF the ground, have a helper step hard on the brakes, then try waggling the road wheel. Is the looseness gone? If so, your bearings have play. 3) If it's still loose when the pedal is depressed, check the ball joints on the steering rack tie rod ends.
Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

give you access to the entire factory manual on a Hyundai. FREE.

Reply to
Steve W.