2000 Lumina 3.1L Head Gasget (step-by-step guide)

That is the sequence Fel-pro lists for 2001-2005. apparently that is now considered a better sequence than what was originally specified for

94-00.

See:

This page also says to use the newer torque spec amount of 44ft/lbs + 95 degrees.

Reply to
jim

Yea the temps are going to be a little better tomorrow the heads will be fine, the intake manifold bolts has a newer torque spec I would guess, thank's guys I'm sure this discussion will be usefull to many other people as well.

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

                              Curt- Hide quot ed text -

My bud had an 1/2 & 3/8 drive troque I need the conversion to foot lbs. on the intake bolts, don't have any INCH pound tools, he said he has never needed one and he owns his own car repair shop for 20 years.

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

You convert by dividing by 12. For example: 60in/lbs = 5ft/lbs

Reply to
jim

12 inches to the foot.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yea I got the heads torqued today warmed up to almost 70 do the intake tomorrow, just FYI the info on the head bolts box stated the old spec's 33 ft. lbs. then 90 degrees, I went 44 ft. lbs. then 92 degrees and the new sequence, feels good about it need a INCH to Ft. Lbs. conversion & sequence for the lower intake bolts, thank's.

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

You have no need for the 1/2" drive torque wrench, a very strong need for a 1/4" drive torque wrench and no mention of an angle gauge.

Do you really expect a successful repair?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Then he doesn't work on newer vehicles or in transmissions. I can think of at least 50 vehicles that call for inch pound torque specs. The reason being that it is almost impossible for you to convert inch pounds from foot pounds at the correct levels.

Think of it this way a beam style torque wrench usually starts at 10 foot pounds, that is 120 inch pounds. So how do you torque bolts to 50 inch pounds with that wrench and KNOW that your in spec? You cannot. Over torque one bolt and you can easily damage the intake.

Oh and FYI both Advance and Auto-Zone have tool loan programs.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yea I know the tool loan programs are cool I was going to use that again, now I think I will being as you said this intake is to inportant to guesstimate. Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

Steve W. You posted; Service Bulletin 03-06-01-010C Issued April 2008

dO bO aO cO

cO aO bO dO

a/b get initial torque of 62 lb. in. then c/d get initial torque of 62 lb. in. NEXT a/b get final torque of 115 lb. in. then c/d get final torque of 18 lb. ft.

May develop an oil leak if you don't torque the verticals first. Recommended that intake bolts be replaced as well.

Reply to
ctops.legal

                           Curt- Hide quoted te xt -

New problem the new FelPro intake gaskets have 3 guide pins on the top (middle is metal) it the same on both sides 2 pins will fully go into the guide holes (yes these clean) there's one on the end wont go in, bolt holes line up an all but and it looks like once you start to torque the intake bolts the 3rd problem pin (rubber) might squeez in OR SMASH IN, I guess the gasket is new and I see the old gasket only has 2 guide pins, thinks about drilling the problem hole out a tiny fraction to ensure proper gasket seating before I apply the black RVT and torque the intake bolts, the problem guide pin is maybe a 1/32nd of an in. off, I tryed for over an hour to get all 3 pins in with the intake on and was going to put a few bolts in and leave over night to get the gasket to settle in all 3 guide pins in there holes, or just cut the problem rubber pins off. what say you ?

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

                           Curt- Hide quoted te xt -

Just found this;

-V6

Reply to
ctops.legal

                           Curt- Hide quoted t ext -

The FelPro bolt for the 4 vert. on the lower intake manifold are shorter than the GM bolt a good 3/16 of a inch, it forced me to use a helicoil insert on 2 (the side of the thermostat) to much heat there used lock-tight, fire her up today :-)

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

quoted text -

Awaiting reports of triumphant success.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

                             Curt- Hide quote d text -
                Curt- Hide quoted text -

Mission accomplished, words of advice to a novice mechanics doing this repair, be sure and place the back lower heat shield for the exhaust manifold in place before you set the rear head-with the manifold attached, once you torque the head with the attached exhaust manifold you can not get the back lower heat shield in place, and don't worry about marking each electrical plugs (except the injectors), they can only go one place.

Tools are the key if you got them the job is not a problem, it is a 3 to 5 day job if you want to do it right..

Curt

Reply to
ctops.legal

3-5 DAYS!!!!

If I remember correctly book time is about 16 hours to do both head gaskets. It's been a while though.

Reply to
Steve W.

Steve your talking about a professional garage setting / with all the tools /, I guess myself now could could do it in 2 short days, you got to let the Permatex High-Temp Red RTV Silicone (NOT THE BLACK which was included with the FelPro head set), over-night drying in temp's below 75 degree highs is a no brainer, those ends must seal perfect if you want the job to last, anyways no fluid leaks or consumption problems.

Reply to
ctops.legal