2000 Mazda Protege blue smoke at startup. Why?

My 2000 Mazda Protege is smoking blue smoke at start up until it warms up and then it clears up.

Has abt 127k on it and I am the 1st owner and have taken great care of this car

What is likely cause? Valve guides? Ring job?

I was hoping this car would NOT develop such major wear at 127k. is this abnormal or normal?

Reply to
me

Most probably valve guide seals. If it were a ring issue, it would be less apt to clear up after the engine gets going.

Dunno, depends on the engine and how well you took care of it. Valve guide seals are pretty easy to do and not all that big a deal. Rings are a big deal.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

OK

Well I've done everything I've supposed to do....change oil at reg intervals all that.

What you think a reasonable price would be to have valve guides replaced? I'm unemployed college student at the moment so cost is an issue.

Reply to
me

I don't know because I don't know how hard to get to they are in your car. It's not a hard job to do yourself in the driveway with most cars, though you'll need compressed air to get the valve to stay in position while you change the seal. If the engine isn't mounted in some way where it's impossible to get the valve covers open without pulling the radiator or something (as is the case on my wife's Subaru), though, you might as well just keep driving it for a while and live with the smoke.

Get the Haynes manual, look at it, and see.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Prices are different everywhere. To find out how much just call a few good repair shops in your area.

Reply to
Woody

Once the cat warms up it will burn up the oil so while the exhaust looks clean the engine could still be burning the same amount of oil

Are you using a lot of oil? If not my wild guess would be valve seals. If you are burning a lot of i would guess rings. Best thing to do would be to have it checked out by a pro....

I'm not a Mazda man myself but I don't hear many complaints about them having this type of problem. Looks like you were just the lucky one.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Good advice!

I will check oil level real close over next week or so and see if it is using it rapidly. If yes.... I will suspect rings

But would rings wear out at 127k?

Reply to
me

If its JUST at startup, it could be valve stem seals. Not a big concern. But if it smokes on deceleration or when taking off from a stop, then its probably valve guides or rings.

I hate to say it, but I've seen a lot of Mazdas and Mitsubishis putting out blue smoke over the past 10 years or so. More than other brands. In the case of Mitsu, its been an ongoing problem related to valve guides dropping out of the heads and also a short/high ring package that doesn't control oil as well as it should. Don't know exactly what the common cause with Mazdas is.

Reply to
Steve

Yeah If I had to do it over again I would have bought a Toyota or Honda and not the Mazda

Reply to
me