2000 Passat, clutch, too short?

I am buying a used Passat. Everything is great, except the cluth. Not sure if it is just this car.

I drove a 70's Jetta before, I have to push the cluth all the way down. The gear box on Jetta (both 2000 and 1978) is so bad that I can not shift into first or 2nd without force.

The Passat is superb. Grear box does not give much fiction at all. Smooth. But the passat's clutch is so short that I only pushed little then I can shift. This is really bad to start at upward slope, because the engage point (half first gear) will be impossible to find.

Is it just this car or all passat is like that?

How could I to change the clutch to longer?

Reply to
Asker

"*" wrote

Careful, you'll wear out your "?" key.

I was going to say that anyone with the brain of a flea could figure it out, but then you'd make a snide comment back, other would join in, and the whole thread would go to hell, so I won't say anything.

Jetta - Apparently stiffer synchros require more effort to move.

Passat - Only need 2 fingers to move shifter, not both hands.

- Different cars shift differently. Maybe one has worn parts?

Jetta - Clutch disengages just before pedal hits the floor, and begins to re-engage as soon as you start lifting your foot, making it easier to control by using the floor as a reference point.

Passat - Clutch disengages nearer the top of the pedal's downstroke, making it harder to control, as the re-engagement point is somewhere in mid-air.

- Might be able to "un-adjust" the Passat to make it disengage later in the stroke.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

"*" wrote (as expected)

.....and yet, you couldn't..........