2000 Pontiac initial acceleration

I drive a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am. It's got approx 110,000 miles on it and up until this point has given me very little trouble. Over the last few weeks, the car has gradually gotten worse with regards to the initial acceleration when the car is at a complete stop. The car starts fine, and once it gets going, there doesn't seem to be any other problems. If i come to a stop light and try to accelerate, the engine revs and the needle goes to 4-5 rpms but the car doesn't actually go anywhere. It takes about 5-10 seconcs before it seems to "catch" and i can accelerate. Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Reply to
Beantown PGA

transmission is done, or close to it, have it checked out before it completely dies

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
Beantown PGA via CarKB.com

Check ATF level and condition. If full and clean, it could be a bad piston seal in a major clutch drum, ie the forward clutch in your transaxle. This would require either teardown/inspection/overhaul or a replacement transaxle to repair.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish